Heath Parasol



The Aircraft On Display

The Museum is home to a Heath Parasol Model V aircraft, currently (as shown in the photo) under restoration. Construction of the aircraft was begun by Capt W.G. Boulden of Claremont, who did not finish the aircraft. In 1958 a new owner completed construction and made several illegal flights in it.

In 1968 it flew for the last time in Kellerberrin and was impounded by the police, and in 1972 it was given to the Museum.

During 1977-1978, the aircraft was completely rebuilt, being put on display at the Museum's official opening in November 1978.



Type / History

Type Single seat ultra light suitable for home construction
Manufacturer Built by owner
Designer Ed Heath
November 1925
1926
Primary users Civil use


The Heath Parasol was the first aircraft that could be home-built from a factory-supplied kit. The fuselage is of welded steel, and covered with fabric. The tail assembly is of wood, as is the wing structure (as visible in the photo).

General Characteristics

General characteristics

Crew: 1
Length: 16 ft 9 in (5.1 m)
Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
Wingspan 25 ft (7.62 m)
Powerplant: modified Henderson motorcycle engine
Weight: empty 260 lb (118 kg), loaded 560 lb (254 kg)


Performance

Maximum speed: 70 mph (112km/h)
Range: 328 miles (528km)
Service ceiling: 11,000 ft (3350 m)